Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Where are the lights?

Today marks two months since I arrived in Lusaka. I apologize for my general lack of communication. I was simply not in the frame of mind to write anything coherent (not that this blog will be :). My mind was recovering from months of non-stop 'dissertating' (writing, defending, revising, and submitting). Moreover, my mind was adjusting to a new land and was in denial about starting adult life in earnest. All these matters contributed to a rather unsettling feeling. But not to worry, I kept mental (and sometimes written) records of my initial and repeated reactions as a newcomer. This first post will give a glimpse and summary of my first two months. Nothing earth-shattering or profound...



Here I am. I arrived in Lusaka late at night from Boston, via Amsterdam. I had been warned about the rather small size of the city's international airport and the fact that I would have to walk on the tarmac before getting to its main building, so that left no impression. After all, that was (and maybe still is) the situation at Accra's Kotoka International Airport (although these days, a bus takes you from point A to point B). A very tired bunch of passengers, we were welcomed by a rather upbeat female airport officer. Although many of us immediately got into our respective lines -- mine being the "Visa Holders" line -- she insisted that we could spread out into other lines since we were "all God’s children!" I took her advice and made my way to the "Zambians only" line. I figured that if I hid the front of my passport, it would not be until I was face-to-face with the immigration officer that I would reveal my non-Zambian identity. My plan worked, but the officer focused on what was crucial: my visa only allowed me into stay in the country for 30 days a year. Already knowing this, I nodded. My workplace has applied for a work permit on my behalf, which will take anywhere from 2-6 months to be issued. Until then, I have to get extensions every 30 days. I cringe at the thought of wasted passport pages, thanks to immigration officers who stamp passport pages with no appreciation for their value.

"Where are the lights?" That was my very first reaction after getting out of the airport. I was welcomed by a young Ghanaian couple (friends of a mutual friend) who showed me the best of Ghanaian hospitality by inviting me to stay with them until I found a suitable apartment. More on them in the next post...  “Is this a back road?” I asked. “Where are the lights?” The husband and wife chuckled. I was very surprised that the airport road, a major road, has such few lamp posts. Not the greatest impression on what was to come, I thought. As we got closer into town, though, I started seeing the lights. And many of them. Having been here for two months, I can now safely say that my initial reaction still stands (i.e. that the airport road needs to be well lit). But where there are lights, Lusaka is very well lit. Too well lit, in fact. The main shopping malls (Arcades, Manda Hill, and Levy Junction) remind me of the bright and migraine-inducing lights of Times Square in New York City. Houses are lit on all sides. Indeed, my land lady’s daughter (more on that in the next post) couldn’t understand why I hadn't thought of leaving the front light of my apartment on all night. “You will attract thieves” she explained. “What thieves?” I asked. But what I really wanted to say is: “Serious thieves will bring their own torch lights!”

Lusaka. The next morning, I went on a little tour of the city. All I kept thinking was how much Lusaka also reminded me of Accra circa 1999-2000 when it was at the cusp of its "development"… right before infrastructural expansion, massive traffic and road congestion, pollution, and increased crime rate. I was happy to be in a place so peaceful, but also excited to be here at this particular time in the city's evolution. And what a lovely and organized city it is. Definitely one of the cleanest African cities I have been to. The people of Lusaka (and presumably Zambia) are very friendly and have a healthy appreciation for good music and nature.

"You are very adventurous" Southern Africans are used to buying tomatoes and onions from shops that include a grocery section, but as a West African, I am used to going to the market to get my staples. One Saturday, I tagged along with my host and her friend to Soweto Market. There, I bargained for goods and felt quite at home. My next step is to learn Nyanja, one of more than 70 languages in Zambia. It is spoken widely in Lusaka and understood all over Zambia. I am learning my new city by the day, and so far, so good. In my next post, I will tell you about my adventures of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Our office manager called me adventurous, for exploring areas and languages in such a short time.
Wilson. For the first six weeks, I had an arrangement with Wilson, a driver who operates from the taxi rank on Zambezi Road, in an area called Roma (where I was staying with the Ghanaian couple). We agreed that he would pick me up from home every morning and take me to my workplace in Kabulonga, about 25 minutes away (with traffic). We negotiated for 35,000 Zambian Kwacha (ZMK) ($7), one way. Even though the currency is called Kwacha, the slang for 1000 ZMK is "one pin".  I am still not sure where the word comes from, but that's how we say it around here! (Un)fortunately, the Government of the Republic of Zambia will be re-denominating the currency in January 2013, where the highest denomination will be 100 ZMK. I wonder whether 'pin' will be replaced?
Wilson was very helpful and sometimes too eager to do his job. On several occasions, he would call before I would, asking if it was time to come pick me up at work (admittedly, it was after 5pm, but I had also told him that I would work late). We explored new places together, and thanks to my roaming around the city, he was also introduced to several parts of his own city. Wilson started driving only about a year and a half ago. Before that he was a gardener in what he described as "an Indian man’s house" for 10 years. After realizing that this work would not get him as far as he wanted to go, he left the job and started a small business (mowing lawns). Soon, he saved enough to buy a small car and started to operate as a taxi driver. One thing that drove me insane with Wilson is that he would play the same song every morning and on repeat. It felt like I was in my own version of “Groundhog Day”!! His song of choice? "Omoge Mi" by P-Square, the Nigerian superstar duo. Needless to say, I have removed that song from my iPod mix! I learned a lot from Wilson and appreciated his entrepreneurial spirit, but the relationship was not sustainable. It was clear that I needed to purchase a car as soon as possible.
“We have knocked off” Why would an internet café in the middle of a busy shopping mall close at 5pm on a weekend, when customers are willing to pay for your service? “Because we too we have to go home and relax” the customer service guy explained. Evidently, I have been spoiled by longer hours of operation in the US and in Accra, Ghana. Only recently did Game, a subsidiary of Walmart, extend its weekly hours to 19:00 from 17:00. All this to say that I had to take a lot of time off work during the day to get anything meaningful done (setting up a bank account, buying basics and necessities for my new abode, etc.). The good news is that said internet café closes at 21:00 on weekdays and now that I have a car, I can stay until late without having to pay for an extra taxi ride home (I would have liked to walk back home, but the roads are deserted by 21:00).

3G..4G..a million Gs. Why don't I just get internet at home, you ask? Well, because it is not cheap! Who knew that browsing Facebook for 20 minutes and checking email for 10 minutes could consume (and I use the word intentionally) about 40MB? Oh how I have learned to be succinct and to the point when it comes to my internet usage! :) At the moment, it seems cheaper to go to the cafe where 60 minutes costs 9 pin and where there are no data restrictions. Access to the internet can also be bought as data bundles on phones or using a USB. Prices range from 5 pin for 10MB/month, to 300 pin ($60) for 3GB/month, to 800 pin ($160) for 10GB/month. One can also get internet at home, where the unlimited package (from 6pm to 8am) costs 1 million ZMK ($200) per month. I am focusing on unlimited plans because of how quickly megabytes are consumed even with the simplest tasks. Having only received two paychecks since my post-doc began, I think it wise to keep going to the internet café until further notice (or until a benefactor steps forward :).

So what are you doing in Lusaka? Variations on this question have been endless. Well, as many of you know, I finally completed my doctoral degree in Development Sociology and Demography at Cornell University this August. I applied for and was blessed to receive the highly competitive Fred H. Bixby Post-Doctoral Fellowship from the Population Council. I am now working as part of the research team of the Adolescent Girls Empowerment Program (AGEP). The goal of this 2-year fellowship is to be mentored by a Senior Researcher and to produce high quality deliverables (i.e publications) that will help catapult a novice like myself to new heights!

Thank you for reading my first post! More to come, so stay tuned!

28 comments:

  1. Interesting read Dela! I've been away for a very long time, so I was chuckling as I read and at the same time trying to imagine myself there, lol.
    I can't believe that the airport road is still lacking street lights, that's unacceptable! Bola road has lights, an I for one, think Lusaka is way ahead of Addis!
    Anyways, I wish I was there to guide you during the period of transition! Btw, Joab Otieng is in Lusaka too, perhaps a familiar face

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Lou. It would have been great to have you here. Your brother has been helpful. The lack of lights on the airport road is woeful. Not a good way to say welcome...

      I have not been to Addis since 1998, but from what I am seeing in pictures and from what I am hearing, Addis has transformed significantly. I don't want to spark a war here, but I think Addis is ahead of Lusaka (as well as other African cities). I will confirm in a few months.. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! What a lovely set of updates -- many thanks! Listening to "Omoge Mi" every morning would drive me insane; well done for keeping it together and finding an alternative mode of transportation. I know you'll be speaking Nyanja in no time - it will definitely open up opportunities to find a benefactor :) Actually Kenny and I have decided that a more African smiley is :=}
    Anyway, I'm so thrilled you're getting settled. Here's to continued success in your adventures! :=}
    P.s. this is Jum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL @ African smiley!! I got a car within seven weeks because it was necessary charley. Seventy pin a day, times five, and extra for any detours (of which there had to be many)!! I filled up my tank (300,000) a week and a half ago and I am still using it (and I been around the city, ai ai ai :)

      I am looking forward to the increased potential of benefactors. Alliance Francaise, here I come! :)

      Delete
  3. So good to hear about your "first day" in Lusaka. I demand (in a very nice way) a blog about your food experience because that is the only aspect that I am competent at [or so it feels like). We will chat in gmail soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inku, your wish is my command. I definitely have plans for a post about the culinary aspects of Zambia. I think you will enjoy it :)

      Delete
  4. Seems like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for blast, there have been blasts. Explosive situations! LOL. jk. Hope you are doing great. Still in NJ or now in GH?

      Delete
  5. Wow! Jealous. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking for research and medical opportunities so you can visit!!

      Delete
  6. Very Exciting! and thank you for posting. I love to hear how you are doing and details of what it is like in your new home. Looking forward to more and as much as you can tell us about your work...! Hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Emme! I am happy to finally get to share my experiences with you all. It's been a long time coming. Hope all is well with you (and your work/papers) in Ithaca! xo

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing... Really an interesting and fun read. Keep those updates coming. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read it, Eric! More to come... :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you've having lot of fun, Dela. Some of the things you're describing like the stores closing early and even the internet situation reminds me a lot of Addis. Look forward to more updates from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bef. Glad you enjoyed the read because there's plenty more where that came from! It's interesting to be back because as many things feel new as they feel familiar. It's an interesting situation to be in... Hope all is well with you and your family.

      Delete
  9. Hilarious! I appreciate your culture shock at not being able to buy milk or go to the bank after 5pm as Johannesburg is much the same. Although I've come to appreciate that aspect of life here as it means I too get to "knock off" by 5 every day or risk getting locked in the building ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's too funny. I think I'll start living under those rules and try to destress my life little by little, hahaha! Say hi to Aman on behalf of Dovelle & I :)

      Delete
    2. I can't tell you how many times I nearly got locked in the building! I eventually had to insist on a key and on knowing the security code. What made it worse is that my office space was upstairs and I had noise-canceling headphones!

      Delete
  10. OMG - "Where are the lights" reminds me of something, but I will keep that to myself, haha! I look forward to reading more and completely understand why you have been MIA. We will wait for you to have enough 'pin' (or is it 'pins?') to get back to us with more news of your adventures. I wanna hear more about this "getting used" situation which we discussed, haha! Also, if you don't already know, most of us are probably on 'whatsapp' which is free, so don't be a stranger!
    Love & miss you (and the the entire gang from BeanTown say hi!)

    S~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish WhatsApp were free! You have to pay for internet access in order to get to the free app.... Thanks for reminding me about "getting used". I will have to write a little piece about that in the next blog. If fact, you have given me an idea for a post title :)

      Also, pin is singular...

      Bisous,
      D.

      Delete
  11. Great post Dela, good read, I can't wait for the next one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read it, Zoula! More where that came from... :)

      Delete
  12. Babes,
    This reminds me of the tomes I used to write during my year of travel after college. Perhaps I should get back to that....sigh...truth is apart from time being in greater demand but less supply, both my mind and body are weak vessels which would rather veg out than mobilize themselves to form coherent, interesting thoughts. You heard it here first. The atrophy has begun :)
    Once you get settled in I look fwd to visiting you my dear. So much more of Africa to explore.
    lots of hugs dear. and so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading your blog. Please put aside some pin to have an adventurous trip to Mozambique. I am pretty sure you will enjoy it. It sounds like you still listen to "Omoge Mi" every morning in your own car instead of Wilson's car ... hahahaaaa

    I am looking forward to reading upcoming blogs as there are some interesting topics you promised to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So loving your blog Dela. As i said it before please keep them coming. I am so ready to read your next one. Enjoy Zambia, i am sure you will meet some of the friends we used to have in Addis there and they will guide you the right way. But as i cab read from your blog you are already at home hehehehe.
    And in regards to the previous comments from Helder Zavale, YES please do visit Mozambique and enjoy it. And you know what i say so lol. It's a pity that i live through others when it comes to Mozambique...i am still far far away from Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW it is Neli. Forgot to write my name.

      Delete
  15. Poor Mr. Wilson!! Love the blog, can't wait to hear more...i felt like i was in the car next to you, lol!

    ReplyDelete